Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Small Boxes 101 (part 1)

Let's get started making some small boxes!



These will be boxes suitable for toothpicks, matches, or whatever of similar size.  I'll be using blanks 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" because I happened to have a lot of blanks that size on hand.

I start by drilling as many tops and bottoms as I need.  I like 7/8" for the bottoms and 1" for the tops.  That allows me to cut the bottoms with a tenon or shoulder to fit snugly into the 1" top while leaving the wall 1/16" thick.











Next I mount one of my 7/8" jamb chuck fixtures and a drilled bottom blank using the tailstock for safety.  (See more about the fixtures in my earlier post at  http://www.rickurbanwoodturner.blogspot.com/2012/01/tools-for-small-boxes.html ).


Then I shape the bottom, cut to mark where the waste block will be parted (cut) from the top, and cut a tenon so the bottom can be held in the chuck jaws.  I repeat this for the rest of the bottom blanks.






Next time we'll do the tops and almost finish the boxes.

No comments:

Post a Comment